Monday, April 11, 2011

Jam

I enjoy jam. It's sweet and delicious, and you can use it in so many ways. Unfortunately, I have to walk to the grocery store and I'm a student. A friend got me to buy a bag of frozen berries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries for making smoothies and milkshakes because I don't eat especially well.

This week I discovered another use for those berries.
Jam is essentially crushed up bits of fruit, the juice and sugar. So I'm making up breakfast, I've got scrambled eggs, hash browns and toast. I'm out of butter, and my jam is upstairs. I open the freezer to put the bag of hash browns back, and spot the bag of berries. I've almost reached the end of the bag.

"Hey me! Jam is just crushed up fruit and stuff, throw those in the pan!" So I do it. Jam also has sugar and pectin (which is what makes it happy and more solid). I have a bunch of brown sugar in a bin, throw that into a cup with some water to dissolve it and toss it in the pan. Boiling it down to increase the sweetness. Pouring the resultant sweet, sticky mess onto some toast makes it delicious.
Hot jam. This is my new favourite thing to put on toast.

No comments: