Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Curry-beef, veggie bean monstrosity.

It's better than it sounds.
I cook experimentally, when I don't know what I want to eat. The result is either utterly horrible or bloody delicious.
This evening's dish started out as baked beans in a pot, on the stove.
Poking through the freezer I found the last of my pre-portioned ground beef, and the bag end of a mix of frozen veggies. So I toss those in the frying pan together on high.

I find a jar of curry powder in one of the cabinets, and once the meat has started to cook, I throw that in with some salt and pepper.
Mix it up and add soy sauce. With the beans still cooking away. I add some basil leaves to the mixture, cook it up a bit more, and then throw the beans into the frying pan and turn the heat down by a third.

There's still some beans in the bottom of the can (they always stick there) so I toss some vinegar in to get them out. No sense wasting food, I'm on a budget. Add a handful of brown sugar and throw that in.

Mix it all together and serve it up. With a bit of brown toast. I haven't tried it, but it might taste good on top of rice. Or replace the beans with rice? I'm not sure. I'm certain it could be kicked up in some way.


Disclaimer: This isn't a recipie. It's guidelines. You could, in theory, achieve the same dish by following this vague set of instructions. Or at least one very similar, but if you really want to cook? Live a little. Deviate from the guidelines. Don't like curry? Try chili powder! Add more spices, less spices, make it with chicken instead of beef. Throw the veggies and meat into the beans. Do what you will with it.

No comments: